Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Wednesday 21/11/2012

Hey everyone and welcome to another episode of Vaughn's Kitchen: Is it even Paleo?
I hope you've been enjoying the recipes so far, as I've said you can tweak them and play around all you want, if you have feedback let me know so I can keep making this work.
Before we get to the recipe today I want to go over the shopping involved a little bit as I have had a few people mention that eating 'Paleo' can be quite expensive. But with a weekly shopping bill of about $70-$90 for Marissa and I (depending on what we need that week) I can tell you we don't go hungry, and for anyone who's seen me eat at the Tav you know that means a lot of food.

The shopping is not just about shopping right, i.e the right foods, but also about shopping smart. Let's face it, despite their advertising the big supermarket chains are a ripoff. They have the occassional good deal but that's about it. Marissa and I use Menai Fruit World to do our fruit, vegetable and bits and pieces shopping. I never walk out of their spending more than $90 for the week and we always have enough to last us well into the next week. Today I wanted to show you how far $94 got me at Blue River Meats in Taren Point:
5.4kg of Rump Steak
3.6kg of Chicken Thigh
1.8kg of Drumsticks
4 Dozen eggs
1kg Bacon
That's almost 12kg of meat for less than $100 and 4 dozen eggs to top it off.
In the photo I have separated the meals into quantities for 4 people (Marissa's mum and dad also) So not only is this enough for Marissa and I but her parents. 3 Lots of Bacon for breakfasts, 7 Meals of steak (whether it be stir fry or bbq) 5 Meals of Chicken, A chicken casserole with the drumsticks and 7 small snack size portions of steak and chicken for my lunches or whatever. So that's 16 whole meals for less than $100 and I haven't even used the eggs yet.
There are plenty of other easy shopping tips that will save you money, take the time to ask, or find out where you can go to get the most out of your dollar. Onto Vaughn's Kitchen.

Vaughn's Lady-Pleasing Omelette
Omelette's seem like a difficult task but this breakfast only took me 15 minutes to prepare and cook before I was hoeing into it and is it Paleo? Yes it is, no bread at all and all your carb needs are catered for. And the positive is if it doesn't go to plan you will have great scrambled eggs.....

Ingredients:
2 tsp butter
3 Mushrooms quartered
1 Zuchinni sliced lengthways into 3 or 4 pieces
1 Tomato quartered
25gm Fetta cheese
The end of a capsicum chopped off
3 eggs (or 2 or 4, it's up to you)
1 Half avocado for serving

Directions:
1. Put eggs in bowl and whisk with a fork until yolks are beaten. (you can add milk if you're desperate).
2. Heat 1 large pan and 1 small pan medium-high heat. Put 1 tsp butter in each.
3. In the large pan put 2 or 3 quarters of tomato, Zuchinni slices, Capsicum and the mushrooms and cook through turning the Tomato, Zuchini and Capsicum once. (Look at those flipping skills, am I good or what?!?!?!
4. At the same time pour the egg mixture into the small pan. Crumble the feta around the surface of the omelette and dice the remaining tomato and do the same. Let it cook until the edges are sealed enough for you to get a spatula under it (like a pancake).
5. Flip one side of the omelette into the centre of itself. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
6. Flip from the same side over onto itself again, cook for 30 seconds or so.
7. BOOM! Lady killer omelette served with your pan fried vegetables makes for a killer meal. (Admittedly I burnt this one a little while attending to a phone call, it was still awesome).





Note: There doesn't have to be a filling for the omelette, but if you do want one you can use any ingredients you think will work; Olives, capsicum, cheddar, ham, bacon, chives for added flavour or even peas, it's up to you.



 Rope Climb Practice
Bring long socks (football or soccer work well)

3 Rounds for time of:
20 KB Swings (24/16)
200m Run

Post time and weight to comments.
















No comments:

Post a Comment